By Katherine Cole
Cowhorn Vineyard & Gardens
A couple of eco-crusaders conquer Rhône varietals.
They recycle and repurpose their bottles, their corks and their aluminum. They compost just about everything else. They grow herbs and vegetables to supply restaurants and local food banks. They’re certified organic and Biodynamic.Yep, it’s obvious that Barbara and Bill Steele are good people. Visit their property and it’s clear that they’re good farmers, too. But can this couple of former financial whizzes manage a cellar as well as they can work a spreadsheet? Um, yes. These two back-to-the-land-ers make such Rhône-worthy wines that you’ll be singing “Kumbaya” after just one sip.
• Splurge: Applegate Valley Reserve Syrah
• Steal: “Spiral 36” Applegate Valley White (viognier, marsanne and roussanne)
• Fab Find: Applegate Valley Grenache
• Annual Production: 1,600 cases
• Wine Geek Notes: Check out the Châteauneuf-du-Pape-worthy galets (“pebbles”) in the vineyard.