We fed the worm bin yesterday. When we opened the bin, it had some color to it, not too wet, no mold, no strong odors. I had earlier chopped up some melon and green beans into one inch pieces for easier consumption (these are domestic worms after all!) So we gently added this to the top of the heap. Then we followed with a thin layer of sawdust to soak up any extra moisture at the food level from the melon trimmings. Next, we added a light layer of manure compost and a little fresh water topped it off. (Earlier during the hot days of summer, we had added dirt instead of manure.) Here’s a picture of what a buffet for worms looks like. All the worms are underneath and they will work their way through this food by maybe Tuesday next week.